General Energy Saving
Ideas for your Office
1. Help educate your coworkers about the environment.
2. Use natural or compact fluorescent lighting. Fluorescent
lights use 1/3 the electricity of normal bulbs and last
up to 10 times longer.
3. Take your own ceramic or china coffee cup to work.
4. Bring your lunch in a reusable container.
5. Set up a recycling program.
6. Investigate the health hazards in your office and
line of work. Seek and promote alternatives.
7. If you send packages by courier, contact a bicycle
courier company for local deliveries.
8. Encourage your company pension plan not to invest
in companies that harm the environment.
9. Lobby your company to set up a committee to monitor
its environmental performance.
10. Walk or ride a bike to work. Use public transit
or carpool – you can advertise at work or on community
11. Weatherproof your workplace to save energy.
12. Lobby for faucet aerators at work to save water.
13. Set up an environmental bulletin board to post
notices about local environmental meetings, environmental
news and green cleaning tips.
14. Make a sign for inside the front door that says
“last one out turns off the lights.”
15. Arrange furniture to take advantage of natural
light from windows.
16. Consider flooring made of renewable materials such
17. Consider sustainable furniture made of recycled
and renewable resources.
18. Unplug or shut down all computers and other electronics
at the end of the day and when not in use. Electronics
on "standby" cost consumers an extra $8 billion
dollars a year in electricity.
Environmentally Office Ideas
for Environmentally Friendly Office Supplies
Environmentally Friendly Office Paper Tips